Friday, September 21, 2012

This is my 4th grade inquiry board that I use for independent research projects. I regularly use this activity for my early finishers. The topics that are listed on the web are all related to 4th grade units of study, but a student may inquire into any topic that they're interested in. Each child has a research folder to keep all of their documentation in. After the student chooses a topic of interest, they consult with me during a mini conference where I outline the steps they need to take. First, they must create a web related to their topic. Next, they organize their web into an outline. Then, they must ask a "big-idea" question related to their topic before they begin to do research. I spend some time directing them to sources other than the computer, and I teach them how to document their sources. When they are all finished, they create an end-product that they present to the class. I really think they get so much out of this inquiry activity because they truly are learning about things that they're genuinely interested in. Yes, it takes extra time, but the results are well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment